Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cereal Fried Chicken


I served this super delicious dish during my aunt's visit. I got this recipe from my mom and just modified it a little. Mommy used to cook this recipe when we go to one of the excursions that my dad's work sponsors. This takes place during the summer and my mom thought of cooking fried chicken this way. This is so, we can enjoy it even its already cold. Gravy is not so popular then and we only have ketchup to accompany the chicken.

I remember that my dad likes chicken adobo while us kids wants fried chicken. So there you go, that's how my Ma came up with this style of cooking fried chicken. She cooks it as adobo first and then fry it later. This is the fried chicken you'll love to eat to the bones!!!!

Over the years, when I started to cook I tried adding chicken coating then Japanese crumbs before frying it. But lately, when I started to get conscious of what I put in my mouth, I replaced the Japanese crumbs to oatmeal. I got the idea when I tasted cereal prawn in Singapore. It's not a bad idea using oats since its rich in fiber. Honestly, they say that you don’t need ketchup or gravy with this fried chicken.

So without blabbing any further this is my recipe.. hope you guys like it.
Cereal Fried Chicken

1 k chicken breast or thigh (any part will do)
3/4 c vinegar
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 t peppercorns (crushed)
2 garlic cloves (chopped or crushed)
2 bay leaves (laurel leaves)
1 small onion salt and pepper to taste
1 c oatmeal
1/4 bar of a margarine
2 T sugar
1/2 to 1 c flour 1 egg

(you can adjust soy sauce and vinegar to your taste)

Saute garlic and onion. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns, bayleaf and chicken. Simmer till it's done.

While chicken is cooking, prepare the oatmeal coating. Melt the margarine in a wok then add the cooking oats. Add the sugar, sauté well until mixture is even.

When the chicken’s done, set aside and let it cool.

Prepare the chicken coating, beat the egg and add-in the flour, mix evenly. Dip the chicken in the coating mixture till all parts are coated. Roll the chicken to your oatmeal mixture then deep fry over low heat.

Do not overcook the chicken, remember it is already cooked. You can eat this without gravy or ketchup. It's really tasty on its own.

Ciao!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiyaa!

This looks really delicious! But I really missed Singapore's Cereal Prawn... can you post the recipe here gracie??

Itzypies said...

Hi Michy Mouse...
Ill just drop you off the recipe for the Cereal Prawn.. it's very simple..

:D