Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Easy HomeMade Gravy



Hey guys, you dont need to buy that instant gravy stuff you find at the supermarkets. Why not make your own. This home made grave recipe is simple and easy to prepare. When my former colleagues and friends visit our house for a round of chitchat I usually served the ever dependable fried chicken with my HomeMade Gravy. They always ask me for the recipe, so here it is. It's really simple.

Easy Home Made Gravy Recipe

Ingredients:


2 T flour
3 T butter or margarine (ordinary cooking oil will do)
1/2 piece of onion chopped into small pieces
1/3 C evaporated milk
1 C chicken broth
1 t sugar
1 t oystersauce

some button mushrooms chopped into small pieces (3-5 pcs will do)
salt and pepper to taste



Melt the butter/margarine in a saucepan over low fire. Before it completely melts, add the onions then the chopped mushroom. When the onions are half done, stir-in the flour. This will make the consisteny a little dry. When flour is completely mixed with the melted butter, you can now add the broth. Let it boil. Add the milk and other ingredients and continue to stir. Adjust the consistency by adding more broth or corn starch (dissolved in water). If you add cornstarch simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.


I usually add some herbs for a richer flavor...basil or oregano will do. Btw, you can do away with the mushrooms if you dont like them.


Tips:
if you use margarine, put less salt or seasoning since most margarines are already salted.

Use 1/3 C of water for 1 T of cornstarch.

For the health buffs, use olive oil instead of butter/margarine and substitute evaporated milk with non-fat milk.
When cooking sauces always use a wooden spoon.


Well friends I hope you try this recipe instead of using the instant ones. There's usually a lot of MSG with the ones available in the market. Next time, I'll post our secret recipe for the knock out Fried chicken.

This is Ginny from the block saying, "behind a great meal there's a great sauce".

Ciao!
(",)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! thanks for this sis, i'll try it this weekend!

Witay said...

hmmm... how come i don't remember having tasted this gravy??? kailangan yata mang-imbita ka ulit para maalala ko... :p

Itzypies said...

hahhaha Wits, I remember serving Japanese dishes when you're at my house hehehe... next time you visit I'll cook one for you :D

Itzypies said...

Mitch, you should wait for the Filipino Style Fried Chicken recipe.. quite tedious but worth it :D

THE ANiTOKiD said...

My kids sometimes call me Daddy Gravy because I love gravies so much!

I just love having 'em in my favorite foods!

I love the way your write! I love the way you organize your thoughts and all! And truth be told, I love your blog! And I kid you not!

Welcome to the blogging world!

.

Itzypies said...

thanks Champ!!!

hehehe I'm a gravy person too :D

Unknown said...

at last! a gravy recipe that looks easy to prepare and ingredients are readily available in our local stores...no need to buy the instant gravy mixes. gustong-gusto pa naman ng anak ko ang gravy, iniinom nya parang juice!!harhar