Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gin Tries to Blog


Due to insistent public demand, yes, I'll start my blog so I can share my family's secret recipes (well not so secret anymore after this).


Since it's Father's Day, my debut recipe will be my Boo's favorite dish - Calderetta ala Cora (ahhh.. Cora's his mom by the way). I learned the recipe so I can still prepare it just the way his mom used to cook it for him. My in-laws are in the States already that's why I mastered this dish for him to enjoy it again.


This dish is famous in the northern part of Luzon (an island in the Philippines). The dish varries a little with the addition of gata (coconut milk). Some uses tomato sauce and vinegar but we use fresh tomatoes.
Ingredients:


6 large ripe tomatoes
1/2 kilo beef cut into cubes (may be substituted with goat meat)
1 clove garlic
2 pcs onions (white or red)
1 bayleaf
5-10 peppercorns crushed
1 large bell pepper
2 carrots (cut in medium sizes)
1/2 C green peas
1 C coconut milk (gata)
1/2 C water
oil for cooking and salt/pepper to taste


Boil the meat together with salt, peppercorns and garlic for 45 minutes using a pressure cooker, if you dont have a pressure cooker, boil it for 2hrs in low fire or until tender.
While waiting for the meat to be tender prepare the other ingredients. Boil the tomatoes for 5-10 minutes then set aside. Prepare the coconut milk (I usually use fresh coconut milk but they are available in tetra packs and cans in your local groceries).

In a large skillet, saute garlic then onions. Add the now tender meat frying till brown. Add the carrots then the green peas. Add the boiled tomatoes, crushing the juice out till you have a sauce. Add water as desired (Tip: you can use the water from where you boiled your tomatoes).

Now add your coconut milk, stirring, make sure not to over stir for this will crush your meat into smaller pieces. Lastly, add the liver spread and bayleaf and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you like.

Optional:

My Boo likes it spicy so I usually add crushed chilli peppers, the small nasty ones (siling labuyo). I put this in before frying the meat. I also add a little sugar for more flavoring. I'm not so fond of MSG so I use natural ingredient as much as possible.

Ginny from the blog says, Ciao!!

10 comments:

Bernch said...

Thanks for the recipe...
do you have a recipe of a simple tacos topping?

Itzypies said...

yeah sure .. I'll post it next time..

joanna palencia-abinuman said...

Wow!
Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Hopin' you can share more in the future.....

Anonymous said...

Finally! A friend's blog for food lovers (like me!) I'll be expecting some japanese stuff, those you served on your despedida :P

Itzypies said...

Hi Mel, yeah sure...
I'll try to post some of the Japanese dishes here :D

Itzypies said...

Hi Jo,

I'll definitely will

:D

kelly galoso said...

Yeah! I agree, it's nice to have a blog like this..for people who loves to EAT & COOK (me too!, I am a frustrated chef!)

I'll try this recipe,maybe this weekend..for sure my family will like this especially my mom & dad since they're from Bicol, they like food with gata.

Hey! can I use this recipe just in case my plans of putting up a small resto push through..hehe!

Hope we can share more recipes!

BaS!L!cA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BaS!L!cA said...

sis i wanna try ur caldereta so i can testify if it's really like mom's..hehe!

thanks for sharing d recipe..i'm also interested in japanese dishes..=D i'll drop by again to check it out...

Itzypies said...

ey Kelly,

how are you.. I hope you enjoy this meal.. some recipes ad tomato sauce.. or if you want it more tasty you can add more tomatoes :D
since your folks are Bicolano you should add more chilli peppers hehhehe..

btw, feel fee to post your recipes here :D