Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gising Gising - Veggie Delight

...........................................................Gising Gising with green chilli

"Gising" in our native tongue means awake or wake up. This veggie recipe is a certified hit. There are a variety of ways to prepare this dish. It can be served in a sizzling plate with crispy tofu and assorted vegetables (carrots, cabbage, snow peas, turnips, etc). The other one is prepared with coconut milk and legumes. The dish originated in Pampanga, a northern province in Luzon popular for its delicious meals.

There’s a nice restaurant in Greenbelt and Serendra that serves this dish. They both use Baguio beans for their main ingredient but I use winged beans (sigarilyas). People in our household lke it so much and it has been part of our table every week. It is so popular that my friends asked me to prepare it for them as well. It's really easy to prepare and if you're keen on recipes with coconut milk like me, you'll surely love it. It's nutricious and healthy... what can I say more.


So guys, here’s the secret recipe of Gising gising. Enjoy!
Gising Gising Recipe


Ingredients:

1 bundle winged beans (approx 10-15 pcs)
1/3 kilo ground pork
2 C coconut milk
1 clove of garlic
1/3 C sliced onion
2 inches ginger peeled and sliced into very small pieces
2 pcs green chillies (siling espada)
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the winged beans in half to remove the seeds. After removing the seeds, chopped it in small pieces depending on your preference.


Saute the garlic and the onions in a medium sized wok. Add the ginger and continue to stir. Before the garlic turns to golden brown, add the ground pork. If you like it spicy, chop the green chillies and saute it before adding the meat.


When everything is golden brown, put in the chopped winged beans and simmer it with the coconut milk. Cook in low fire until almost all the milk evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.

Notes:

Legumes are no no for people with rheumatism/arthritis and gout.
Use lean ground meat since it produces less oil.
My mom has a very thin tolerance for spicy food so I don't chop the green chillies.




This spicy dish is really meant to awaken the senses. Add more green to your life, try it!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm first! I'm soooo cooking this tomorrow! Thanks Gin :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Truth be told, I am not into veggies and all! But when I saw the pic of this mouth-watering dish - it's a 360 degree turn for me! And I kid you not!

More delicious posts please!

Itzypies said...

I promise you guys this is really delicious... you can replace the winged beans with Baguio beans just remove the seeds to cut down on uric acid...

ciao!

Faye said...

Hi G! :) how are you?! wow! lots of recipes! sobrang timing :) Im starting to learn how to cook *lol* puro inihaw ang ulam namin ni Chris *lol* regards to "boo" and to the little fella :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir or Madam,
My name is Leticia Avierkiieva and I am a contributor at www.mycitycuisine.org, a wiki project. I am currently working on an article about Gising gising for the project, and am in need of a photo for the article.
I wanted to inquire in regards to your photo:
http://ginfromtheblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/gising-gising-veggie-delight.html
The photo would be perfect for the article. Would you be willing to give mycitycuisine.org permission to use your photo for the project?
If you agree to let mycitycuisine.org to use the photo, please specify the terms of permission in your reply so I can upload this photo with the correct license terms.
1.) I certify that I am the owner of this photo. I grant mycitycuisine.org and its owner to use this photo for any purpose with attribution to me as the photo owner.

OR
2.) I certify that I am the owner of this photo. I release all rights of this photo and place this photo in the public domain.
I thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Leticia Avierkiieva (gourmand86@yahoo.com)
PS: mycitycuisine.org is a wiki project so you are encouraged to contribute to it by sharing your knowledge of your local cuisine. Thank you.

Itzypies said...

Hi Larisa, thanks for dropping by please leave your email so I can send my reply..

Gin

Unknown said...

Hi. This is Jerica Herga of I Juander, GMA News TV. Currently, we are undergoing a research about spicy foods. May I have your contact number? Please send me a message at jericaherga@yahoo.com once you read my comment. Thank you so much :)